I joined in Prof. Peter Crozier‘s group as a postdoctoral research associate in 2011. In the past two years I’ve worked on the determination of optical properties of carbonaceous aerosols by monochromated electron electron-loss spectroscopy (EELS). Carbonaceous aerosols are one of the important aerosols present in the atmosphere, and significantly contribution to radiative forcing. By utilizing EELS on the monochromated transmission electron aberration-corrected microscope (TEAM1 at National Center for Electron Microscopy), we can probe the optical properties of individual nanoparticles while simultaneously characterizing their morphology, structure, and composition. Electron diffraction and x-ray energy dispersive spectroscopy are also employed during investigation of aerosol particles. This research is founded by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). Please follow the link below for more information.
I am also involved in the Industrial Associates Program (IAP) of LeRoy Eyring Center for Solid State Science. I help users from industry and academic institutions analyze their samples using various TEM techniques.
The Chinese University of Hong Kong Mater Sci Eng Ph.D. 2009
Tsinghua University Mater Sci Eng M.E. 2006
Zhengzhou University Mater Sci Eng B.E. 2003
- Jiangtao Zhu, Peter A. Crozier, James R. Anderson. Characterization of light-absorbing carbon particles at three altitudes in East Asian outflow by transmission electron microscopy. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 2013, 13: 6359-6371.
- Jiangtao Zhu, Juncai Jia, F. L. Kwong, Dickon H. L. Ng. Synthesis of 6H-SiC nanowires on bamboo leaf by carbothermal method. Diamond and Related Materials, 2013, 33: 5-11.
- Jiangtao Zhu, Juncai Jia, F.L. Kwong, Dickon H.L. Ng. Synthesis of bamboo-like carbon nanotubes on a copper foil by catalytic chemical vapor deposition from ethanol. Carbon, 2012, 50(7): 2504-2512.
- Jiangtao Zhu, Juncai Jia, F.L. Kwong, Dickon H.L. Ng, Peter A. Crozier. Metal-Free Synthesis of Carbon Nanotubes Filled with Calcium Silicate. Carbon, 2012, 50(7): 2666-2669.
- Jiangtao Zhu, Juncai Jia, F. L. Kwong, Dickon H. L. Ng, S.C. Tjong. Synthesis of multiwalled carbon nanotubes from bamboo charcoal and the roles of minerals on their growth. Biomass and Bioenergy, 2012, 36: 12-19.
- Jiangtao Zhu, Hoi Man Wong, Kelvin W.K. Yeung, and Sie Chin Tjong, Spark Plasma Sintered Hydroxyapatite/Graphite Nanosheet and Hydroxyapatite/Multiwalled Carbon Nanotube Composites: Mechanical and In Vitro Cellular Properties. Advanced Engineering Materials, 2011, 13(4): 336-341.
- Jiangtao Zhu, F. L. Kwong, D. H. L. Ng. Synthesis of Carbon Coated Silica Nanowires. Materials Chemistry and Physics, 2010, 124, 88-91.
- Jiangtao Zhu, S.C. Tjong. Spark Plasma Sintered Hydroxyapatite/Multiwalled Carbon Nanotube Composites with Preferred Crystal Orientation. Advanced Engineering Materials, 2010, 12(11): 1161-1165.
- Jia Li, Fung-Luen Kwong, Jiangtao Zhu, Synthesis of Biomorphic ZnO Nanostructures by Using the Cetyltrimethylammonium Bromide Modified Silk Templates, Journal of The American Ceramic Society, 2010, 93(11): 3726-3731.
- Jiangtao Zhu, F. L. Kwong, D. H. L. Ng. Synthesis of Biomorphic SiC Ceramics from Bamboo Charcoal. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 2009, 9: 1564-1567.
- J. Zhu, P.A. Crozier, J.R. Anderson. Determination of the optical properties of carbonaceous aerosols by monochromated electron energy-loss spectroscopy, EDGE-Enhanced Data Generated by Electrons 2013 workshop, France, 5/26/2013.
- J. Zhu, P.A. Crozier, J.R. Anderson. The Range of Validity of the Thin Film Approximation for Dielectric Determination of Nanostructures with Electron Energy-loss Spectroscopy, accepted by Microsc Microanal 2013 meeting.
- J. Zhu, P.A. Crozier, J.R. Anderson. Determination of the Optical Properties of Carbonaceous Aerosols by Monochromated EELS, accepted by Microsc Microanal 2013 meeting.
- Jiangtao Zhu, Peter A. Crozier, James R. Anderson. Electron energy-loss spectroscopy of carbonaceous aerosol particles. Microsc Microanal 18(Suppl 2), 2012, 1718-1719.
- Jiangtao Zhu, Peter A. Crozier, James R. Anderson. Determining the bulk and surface contributions in electron energy-loss spectra from aggregate nanostructures. Microsc Microanal 18(Suppl 2), 2012, 402-403.
- Jiangtao Zhu, F. L. Kwong, D. H. L. Ng. Immobilization of CNT on Bamboo Charcoal by TEOS Vapor. Proceeding in the 2008 Spring Meeting of Materials Research Society (MRS), San Francisco, USA, 1081-P04-06.
Postdoctoral Research Associate
School for Engineering of Matter, Transport and Energy
Tempe, AZ 85287-8706